Tuesday, October 12, 2010

I was recounting events of the ‘Parkwood’ months with a friend of mine who shared some moments at the hospital with me. She has since told me that at the time she wasn’t sure how I would endure my time in my new surroundings. After some thought I can say it was the belief that I would improve, taking it day by day, and some serious laughter along the way.

It was encouraged that friends or family accompany me as support during different therapies. One such time a good friend of mine was with me, she knew my preoccupation with looking your best. As we were sitting facing the communal gym I saw something that was incredibly funny. She knew exactly why I was staring and laughing. I know it was completely inappropriate but I couldn’t help but laugh. It was a man about 80 (who wasn’t) It appeared that he had just come from church. He had on black dress socks pulled up to mid calf with black lace up dress shoes. He was wearing brown polyester plaid shorts that came to an awkward length just above mid thigh and a white short sleeve dress shirt. It was a though he had taken his pants and jacket off and replaced them with shorts. The laughter was a nice change from my earlier cry fest earlier in the day. The laughter pulled me out of my own personal depression with the situation.

It is obvious that I was depressed about the change. (wouldn’t anyone??) I always thought I was positive and upbeat given the situation but what I am realizing is that what I was positive about was that things were going to get better. I would someday trade in the wheelchair for a cane and turn around trade the cane for nothing.

I am now a firm believer in a few things. I’ve lived it and experienced that laughter is the best medicine. I may have been sad about what was happening but I always was able to laugh. Laughter allows you to shed negativity and be positive. No matter what is in front of you. Being positive brings about positive change. I feel very strongly that you need to surround yourself with positive people that have a positive message. Since I had people coming to me with such strong positive messages, it was only natural to continue that positive vibe.

No comments:

Post a Comment