Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Being Admitted to Parkwood

I looked forward to the new phase but was scared as hell. I may have seen a lot of repetition and my days were the same but at least I knew what to expect. A kind nurse even gave me a nibble of chocolate as a going away present. It was fairly hush hush until it happened. I didn’t even get to say goodbye to the nurse’s that cared for me the most. They really made the difference. I have a new admiration and respect for nurses. They really have to be special people to do what they do. Thank you.

It was a strange sensation to be viewing the city from the back window of an ambulance. Prior to the stroke I had been living in London. The strangest part of it all was the route to the hospital was very familiar to me. Parkwood Hospital was only 2 blocks from my house. I was traveling on roads that took me to the local grocery store, video store, restaurants and my running route I had run for 6 years. It felt good to see the way things had been. I was riveted despite the cute ambulance attendant and the conversation with him. It just seemed like I should be out in the cars participating in my surroundings not watching them from the ambulance.

We pulled up to the entrance and I was wheeled in the automatic sliding doors than in the elevator to the 3rd floor and down the halls. It was like it was happening in slow motion. I remember looking around me trying to take in all of my new surroundings. Just talking about it takes me back to being on a stretcher and viewing things from a laying down position. I was trying to read the signs as I zipped by, I was just happy and proud I could read and understand them.

I was deposited in my new room that I shared with a much older woman. My new nurse pulled the curtain since she had to take a rectal swab to ensure I wasn’t bringing in any bacteria or disease. This procedure that was slightly embarrassing. But at that point I was used to being poked and prodded. I have come to learn that in those situations your body is not your own anymore. Privacy went out the window. I’m far less modest now.

After the nurse shared with me the lay of the land and what to expect she left me on my own. The poor woman sharing the room with me had to hear me. I just cried in disbelief that this was really happening. Thankfully I wasn’t alone for long. Mom couldn’t make it (it was the first time since being admitted) but it would be soon time for Mike to be off work.

No comments:

Post a Comment