Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Motivation

At a time when things were looking very bleak, a few questions nagged at me. The first was; how much better was this going to get? At that point I was still lying in a bed with limited movements, my talking was jumbled, I wasn’t eating. People would try to reassure me that things would improve. They were right, but at the time I had a hard time believing them. However those stories would echo in my mind as a collective unit that things can get better.

In the beginning my gut response to the thought it would possibly was to cry (when wasn’t it). I thought ‘Here I am lying in bed with limited movement, how was it going to get better?’ It appeared to me that that was it. I wasn’t moving part of my body, breathing on my own, nor talking without effort. It was going to get better!? But people persisted not knowing my inner thoughts that would refute their well meaning success stories. I’m glad they shared these stories since they later had an impact on my recovery. Eventually I started to believe them.

It was when I was transferred to the Rehabilitation hospital (Parkwood) my attitude had swung to more consistent positive mindset. Fortunately the many success stories coupled with the following gave me additional motivation; I shared a room with a woman 88 years old. I was told she came to the hospital in bad condition and was being discharged using a walker. I thought this place performs miracles. In addition an article was published in the newspaper ranking Parkwood hospital as the best stroke recovery hospital in Canada. I clung to those two positive thoughts daily.

The most important motivating factor in having a positive attitude was meeting with a woman around my age who had experienced a stroke and had a recovery that I could aspire and strive for. Her father told me that I was further along than she had been at the same time in her recovery. The most significant event that made me so hopeful was just meeting her and seeing her walk towards me as I sit trapped in a wheelchair. It really did emphasize the results with my own eyes. It gave me the inspiration to push forward with an idea of what could happen. I had the all important hope now I just had to believe it and work hard. The skys the limit. I belive now more than ever, that you can achieve whatever you set your mind to!

1 comment:

  1. You are so right! Motivation and a positive attitude are more than half the battle to accomplish your goals. I am in awe of you, Tina. You have had the strength to rediscover who you are. This blog is such a wonderful part of the healing process because now you are the one who is inspiring others, just like the success stories in the hospital motivated you. Your amazing spirit has not changed; your stroke could never touch that.

    ReplyDelete