Monday, August 30, 2010

Laughter the Best Medicine

My niece and nephew have always been a source of laughter and Joy. When they lived closer I would make special trips just to visit and get my “fill”. They always make me laugh with what they say or do. They were faced with a very grown up issue at a very young age. Andrew was only 5 and Abbey only 3. They proved to be resilient and took it all in stride. As far as I know they haven’t been scarred from this event.

When they would file in the room I would be so happy I would cry. One particular visit stands out in my mind. Aaron, my brother, had Andrew in his arms. Behind him strode a little girl(Abbey) with a mass of curly hair bouncing with each step. Abbey had a purpose that showed in her long strides and pumping arms. Amanda his wife pulled up the rear carrying coats and bags.

Andrew being older and having more of an understanding of the gravity of the situation had a cautious approach. This is completely reasonable since they were entering a hospital room with beeping and hissing machines running to and from what was the fun aunt. Not the motionless crying aunt. Prior to the stroke we would be played tag, or little sticks hockey or any number of kids games or toys. Now I was lying on a bed, just happy to see them. Abbey on the other hand was just fearless and did not show any nervousness. Often she would sit on the bed with me completely unafraid and curiously tryed to push at the buttons that would adjust the bed.

Abbey is the cause of gales of laughter. She has proven this time and again over the years with her dramatic and no nonsense personality. Unfortunately in this situation I don’t fully remember the details but it is funny nonetheless. My sister in law has filled me in and we have laughed about it since.

The observation room wasn’t equipped for patients having visitors, therefore there weren’t chairs. A little girl would need to stand on a chair or sit on the bed to see, so the only logical place was to sit at the foot of the bed. At that time it was Amanda and Abbey. The visit was usual; they came to see me lying in the bed waiting for me to pull through....It was a serious time. At the end of the visit it was discovered that Abbey had been sitting on my pee bag with everyone being completely unaware and proceeding as usual.

Fortunately as easily as I cry I also laugh. It seems like I find the funnier things in life even in terrible situations. I know a good laugh makes me smile and can make the grave situation not so intolerable. It helped me deal with the crap, and there was a lot of crap. Instead of looking back on what a terrible time it was, Amanda and I have chosen to laugh at it instead. It is just more fun. This time it is tears of laughter not sorrow. Thanks Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment