Monday, December 13, 2010

Boredom

I was sooo bored being at home during the day by myself. When the doctor had mentioned needing a few years at home to recover, my thought was that I was going to go crazy with boredom. I even thought I would be going to the mall on a regular basis for something to do. I had naively thought I’d be walking within months and I’d be out and about, possibly even driving. I couldn’t have been more wrong.

Instead to fill some time in a day, I would wait for Mike to come home and bombarded him with things to do...like go for a walk with my walker, go to the mall for something I thought we had to have or play cards or a board game. He became the pivotal player in my entertainment. What I neglected to realize was that he just wanted to relax after work.

I started to get the hint that he needed some down time and tried to find things that would be entertaining for just me. I didn’t have much luck but did find some comfort to being in front of the computer. At first I would play hearts and solitaire. Then I started to write things down and it felt really good. Prior to the stroke I had a thought of writing a book but I didn’t have a topic. Now I do.

I began documenting things so I wouldn’t forget. Thing is I haven’t forgot much.
In the beginning my vocabulary was limited, my sentence structure nonexistent. I would have several thoughts and try to ram them all into one sentence. Sentences would be run on and on and on. Typing was a slooww activity since I had lost much of my co ordination. In the beginning I made an effort to type as I was taught in typing in high school. My right hand has had to pick up the slack on certain letters. I’ve had to modify the way I type much like I’ve had to modify many activities.

What is interesting is going back and reading what I thought at the time was a work of art. It is a great barometer of how things were. At least that got me started using my brain and thankfully I have progressed since then.

No comments:

Post a Comment